Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trouble in Paradise

Some of my patio pots have not been growing -- or at least growing properly. I have been wondering what could be happening in this lovely, strangely early spring. Then I noticed the cat. She was trying to eat a radish sprout. Then she tried to curl up on the lettuce. Uh-huh. I was beginning to get the picture.

The lettuce survived, but I have had to replant radishes and carrots. I need to replant spinach and possibly beets. Hmmm. We had two fights yesterday -- it included some rather colorful cat language as we hissed at each other. She didn't want to get out of the lettuce in the morning, and didn't want to get up off of the red cabbage plant in the afternoon.

I'm still getting used to how my new digital camera works or you be able to see that she is curled up next to a red cabbage plant. Moments later she tried to curl up right on top of it to take a nap. She was not happy when I tried to move her on. After sulking for about ten minutes she took a stroll through several other pots.


You can see by the look on her face, I was still not her favorite human right at that point. I am now wondering if she might be just a little jealous of all the time I am spending with the pots. She doesn't act like this when I am out in the raised beds.

After almost six hours at hard labor yesterday I stank, was covered with topsoil and sheep manure, and when I sneezed, mud came out. Do you supposed I took up gardening because it was a great outlet for my OCD? The cat thinks so. She kept staring at me like I was crazy when I was working in the rain this afternoon. I was racing the storm to get my cilantro plants in. I almost made it and only got mildly damp. She was certain I had lost my marbles when I went back out in the rain to pick onions to go with dinner.

On the other hand, now that it is really raining, she is the one sitting outside on the covered part of the patio. There the spoiled girl has her own towel-covered love seat to curl up on. If this does not suit, she heads for the neighbor's patio where there are three cozy cushioned chairs from which to choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment